IOM is looking for 1 (one) Migration Heath Nurse according to the terms of reference below. Interested applicants are invited to apply by submitting their application to hrbandaaceh@ iom.int not later than 31 July 2009 indicating the reference code below and job title. All candidates are requested to specify their availability date in the application form. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Reference Code : SVN/ID1/2009/ 056
Position Title : Migration Health Nurse
Duty Station : Sabang, Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam, Indonesia
Classification : Grade 4 Step 1, one month with possible extension
Estimated Starting Date :As soon as possible
The Migration Health Nurse is responsible for assessing, managing, delivering and coordinating the health and psychosocial services for Irregular Migrants (IMs) in the accommodation centers (when available) and detention facilities of Sabang District, Indonesia. Under the administrative supervision of the Head of Office in IOM Banda Aceh; direct supervision of the Migration Health Physician and technical supervision of the Senior Migration Health Physician (based in Jakarta) for health and psychosocial matters; and the National Operations Officer for Operations matters. In particular he/she will:
1. Conduct regular visits to the IM accommodation facilities, i.e., hotel and/or detention centres to assess and provide for the health needs of IMs including referral and coordination when needed. In the absence of the Migration Health Physician, the Nurse is responsible for evaluating the health conditions of IMs, provide emergency care if needed, and recommend appropriate medical action (whether further treatment is necessary, discontinue treatment, etc) to the Migration Health Physician.
2. Assist the Migration Health Physician during health assessment, medical consultation, physical examination, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up of the medical/health conditions of irregular migrants.
3. In accordance with the recommendations of the Migration Health Physician or Senior Migration Health Physician, facilitate medical referrals and follow-up of IMs to specialists or other services.
4. Assist in the development of and carry out public information campaign in relation to health care, including psychosocial assistance and personal/community hygiene.
5. Arrange and administer immunization to IMs as instructed by the Migration Health Physician
6. Collate, review for completeness of information and maintain a filing, retrieval and forwarding system of medical documents/records for each migrant undergoing health assessments, medical consultation, treatment, referral and follow-up covered by the programme.
7. Maintain daily recording and monthly reporting of statistical data generated from the management and care of IMs. Monthly statistical data for the progress report should be transmitted to the Senior Migration Health Physician every first Friday of the month.
8. Conduct pre-departure health checks or assessments to IMs traveling under the auspices of IOM and immediately report to the Migration Health Physician.
9. Provide medical support and assistance to migrants during international or local travel when needed.
10. Assist the Migration Health Physician in maintaining regular progress notes and an efficient medical referral system for medical cases that require specialized medical attention or for emergency cases.
11. Follow-up medical cases in hospitals/shelters as required.
12. Assist Senior Migration Health Physician in coordinating with local health authorities concerning the health of IMs
13. Assist the Migration Health Physician in the identification, procurement, storage and maintenance of medical supplies and equipments for the clinic. Medicines due to expire in 6 months should be reported to the Senior Migration Health Nurse in Jakarta.
14. Work in close coordination with the Psychosocial Health and Operations Teams in the field to ensure that IMs basic needs are met.
15. Act as interpreter/ translator when needed.
16. Undertake other duties that may be assigned from time to time which are commensurate to the position.
Degree in Nursing, and/or with equivalent education and training relative to clinical nursing. At least two years of clinical nursing practice; experience in mental health, public health and/or community health and health promotion an advantage. Experience in general counseling, good coordination and networking skills will be distinct advantages.
Good reporting skills, personal commitment, efficiency and flexibility, ability to work with minimal supervision, good level of computer literacy, awareness of gender issues. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds, willingness to travel and to work under difficult conditions.
Good verbal and written communication skills in English is an asset