Job Title : GIS Officer
Location : Banda Aceh
Reports to: the Ecosystem Manager
Starting date: as soon as possible
Background to the position :
The Leuser International Foundation (LIF) is currently implementing the Aceh
Forest and Environment Project (AFEP), funded by the Multi Donor Fund, to
help integrate environment and forest protection into the recovery and
future development of Aceh. To help implement this project, there is an
opening for a GIS Officer based in Banda Aceh.
Specific duties and responsibilities include :
1. Work in close cooperation with the Ecosystem Manager and other project staff, and cooperate with all GIS related consultancies.
2. Develop and manage map libraries and data dictionaries and ensure the quality of the data obtained; coordinate with other projects and agencies for data gathering and information sharing.
3. Manage the operation and maintenance of software. Operate the software to create and produce GIS products requested.
4. Prepare annual work plans, quarterly and monthly implementation plans and procurement plans for updating the existing GIS database and carrying on the work; report regularly to the Ecosystem Manager; document all GIS division activities and prepare periodic reports to donors and other agencies.
5. Conduct training for government agencies, NGOs and LIF staff as stated in the annual workplans.
6. Respond to all map requests from other divisions in a timely manner; conduct ground truthing as required, and involve project field staff in this activity.
7. Conduct special GIS studies, especially on deforestation rate through time series in critical parts of the project area.
8. Attend meetings, workshops etc. representing LIF, prepare presentation materials regarding the project.
9. Support spatial planning exercises and help BAPPEDA and BAPEDALDA to incorporate enviromental concerns into spatial planning
Required Qualifications and Competencies :
1. Familiar with ARCGIS v 9.3 and ENVI v 4.4
2. Basic knowledge in mapping such as coordinates, projections and mapping procedure
3. Familiar with GIS data sources
4. Able to design the data base, inluding graphic data and non-graphic data
5. Able to produce draft summary reports in English (assistance with editing will be provided)
Contract Type : Fixed Term Contract for one year (renewable)
Grade & Salary : negotiable and depending on qualifications
How to apply
1. Closing date: 17 May 2009
2. Submit a cover letter *describing experience and qualifications* based on list above, and CV to the following address:
The Personnel Officer
Leuser International Foundation
Jl. Bioteknologi No. 2 Kampus USU - Medan
The LIF is an equal opportunity employer. Women are also encouraged to apply. Only short listed candidates will be notified for interview.