The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is one of a network of 15 Future Harvest Centres of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). As a global leader in agroforestry research and development, ICRAF’s ultimate purpose is to improve human welfare by reducing poverty, increasing cash income, improving food and nutritional security, and
increasing environmental resilience through improved agroforestry systems. ICRAF has it’s headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and works in 21 countries throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America.
In 1993, the World Agroforestry Centre opened a program for Southeast Asia with Bogor, in Indonesia, as its regional headquarters. We currently work in five Southeast Asian countries including Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and China. As one of ICRAF Project, RUPES Program (Rewards for, Use and share investment in Pro-poor Environmental Services) in Indonesia has several sites, including Singkarak site at West Sumatera.
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) wishes to recruit a Database Specialist to support its research activities. The incumbent will be under Ecological Modeling Unit and will have high collaboration with the IT Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
· To manage research data, including biophysics data from Ecological Modeling Unit (EMU) and spatial data from Spatial Analyst Unit (SAU).
· To design the database; develop a database structure to handle the variety of biophysics and spatial data and advice the integration within.
· To manage User Interface Design; including the web and application
· Bachelor degree in Computer Science is preferred
· Excellent programmer with a good theoretical background
· Have a database management skill, VBA, ASP and PHP skills (or be a fast learner)
· Statistical knowledge is a point plus
· GIS knowledge is another point plus
· Have excellent communication skills, in person, on the phone and via e-mail in English
· Be resilient, friendly and enthusiastic about Open Source
Terms of Offer11 months engagement
Please submit your application with relevant qualifications, experiences, reference and a recent photograph in MS Word or Pdf format (Max. 500 kb), not later than August 20, 2010 to :
ICRAF Human Resources Unit
(code: Database Specialist)
Only short-listed applicants meeting the requirements stated above will be contacted.
ICRAF believes that staff diversity promotes excellence, and strongly encourages women to apply. We invite you to learn more about ICRAF at our web site :